2.04.2017

Being black in Brazil




First of all, shall we read some lines of Adão Ventura?

"Come shine or come storm,
my body is enclosed
by this black skin".

Ventura was a brazilian poet. He lived many years here in Belo Horizonte (my hometown) and passed away in 2004. It's funny that his poetry - brave, simple, straightforward - remains unknown for the most in my country. Unfortunately. 

Let's read the rest of the poem:

"Come shine or come storm,
my body is fenced
by these high walls
- corrals
where is still coagulated
the blood of slaves

Come shine
or come storm,
my body is enclosed
by this black skin".

Several Adão Ventura's poems often remind me that Brazil is not a racial democracy, as many people think (inside and outside the country). Brazilian racial democracy is a myth! Just take a look at our parliament. Although more than 50% of Brazil's population are black there are less than 5% african-brazilians in the Congress. The same "standard" is repeated on entertaiment industry, fashion, advertising. And what about the wage gap between whites and blacks? What about police brutality against black people?

I'm proud to be a black brazilian guy. But I must recognize too: We have serious issues with racism here, even though some people pretend not see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment